King's House, 36-37 King St, London EC2V 8BB


Probate Service


The right to deal with the estate of someone who has died is called ‘probate’. When someone dies, you may be able to apply for a ‘grant of representation’. This gives you the legal right to deal with the person’s property, money and possessions (their ‘estate’).

Probate work usually involves proving that, if the deceased left a will, that the will is valid, identifying the deceased person’s property and having the value of property appraised, paying any outstanding debts and taxes, including inheritance tax, and distributing the property according to the will or, sometimes, according to law.

If there is no will, a close relative of the deceased can apply to the probate registry to deal with the estate. In this case they apply for a ‘grant of letters of administration’. If the grant is given, they are known as ‘administrators’ of the estate. This grant of letters of administration is also a legal document which confirms the administrator’s authority to deal with the deceased person’s assets. As there is no will in this case the estate will have to be distributed according to a strict order of priority called the ‘rules of intestacy’.

Certain very small estates may not require any type of grant to be taken out.

We can advise you on all probate issues and deal with all aspects of administrating the estate. We aim to make this sad time as stress-free as possible for our clients.